UK

Harry and Meghan set to return to UK this month, a shift that may interest Canada and the United States

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to move back to a non‑royal home outside London, prompting speculation about their role and North American reactions.

Harry and Meghan set to return to UK this month, a shift that may interest Canada and the United States

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are set to return to the United Kingdom later this month, the palace confirmed. The couple will reside in a non‑royal property outside London and will continue to keep their homes in Montecito, California and Portugal.

Royal status and family ties

Both will remain private individuals and non‑working members of the royal family. Their move does not alter their status and there will be no "partial‑in‑partial‑out" arrangement. King Charles, who is undergoing treatment for cancer, was told of the plan on a Sunday – three days before the public announcement – and is reported to welcome the chance to see more of his family in a personal capacity.

Children’s education

Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, have already been enrolled in schools in Britain and are expected to start at new schools in September, according to reports in The Telegraph and The Sun.

Security and logistics

Security arrangements are being overseen by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec), which includes representatives from the Home Office, the Metropolitan Police and the royal household. A Home Office spokesperson said: "The UK Government's protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long‑standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals' security." No comment has been received from a spokesman for Harry and Meghan.

Public and familial reaction

Peter Hunt, former BBC royal correspondent, warned that the return is likely to leave Prince William "apoplectic" and could create the prospect of two rival courts. He added that the move will make it harder for William to avoid a reconciliation with his brother.

A YouGov poll conducted last month showed that public opinion remains unfavourable: 22 % of respondents view Meghan positively and 65 % negatively, while 33 % view Harry positively and 58 % negatively.

Background

Harry and Meghan relocated to the United States more than six years ago. They married at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in May 2018 and were once described as part of the "Fab Four" with the then Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. In March 2019 Buckingham Palace announced that the couple would establish their own household, ending the joint operation with William and Kate. In January 2020 they announced a step‑back from senior royal duties, becoming financially independent, supporting the late Queen and splitting their time between the UK and North America. The late Queen, at the Sandringham Summit, ruled that the couple could not have a half‑in‑half‑out status. By March 2020 they set up a permanent home in California, formally stepped down as senior royals and ceased using the HRH style.

The announcement follows less than two months after Harry sought a way to bring his family to the UK for the one‑year lead‑up to the Invictus Games, which are scheduled for 10‑27 July next year in Birmingham. At the end of June, Harry awaited a review by the Risk Management Board, part of Ravec, and his security team were working to ensure a safe visit to the UK. Meghan travelled to the UK in July with Archie and Lilibet to join Harry after a week of events promoting the games, during which the children saw the King at Highgrove for the first time in four years. That visit was not believed to have raised the possibility of a permanent return.

Meghan will continue to operate her lifestyle brand As Ever from the new base, while the Sussexes retain their overseas residences.