UK

Questions over who will pay for Sussexes’ security as they return to UK

The royal couple are set to return as Harry finds out the legal bill he faces over his failed court action against the Daily Mail’s publisher.

Questions over who will pay for Sussexes’ security as they return to UK
Questions over who will pay for Sussexes’ security as they return to UKThe royal couple are set to return as Harry finds out the legal bill he faces over his failed court action against the Daily Mail’s publisher.The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are returning to the UK (Jonathan Brady/PA)PA Wire

Questions remain over who will pay for the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes’ security when they return to the UK, as Harry will learn how much he will have to pay in legal costs in his High Court case against the Daily Mail’s publisher.

Harry and Meghan are to live in a non-royal residence outside of London, having already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools, it was revealed on Wednesday.

Decisions about whether taxpayers will foot the bill for their security remain unanswered, as does the exact reason for their decision to relocate, with the Sussexes yet to comment publicly.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham would not be drawn on Harry and Meghan’s security arrangements in the UK, saying the funding for it was a “private matter”.

Harry has faced a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over the security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.

At the end of June, he was still waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements – and he and his security detail were working to try to ensure his July visit could take place safely.

Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including members of the royal family, are made by Ravec, which includes the Home Office, Metropolitan Police and Royal Household, which advises an independent chairperson.

As the fallout of their announcement continued, Harry and six other household names were set to find out how many millions of pounds they will have to pay to the Daily Mail’s publisher in legal costs.

The high-profile figures, including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, but Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases in a judgment last month.

The Duke of Sussex faces a legal bill over his court action against ANL (Aaron Chown/PA)PA Archive

Mr Justice Nicklin is to give his decision on the size of an initial payment the group will make to ANL, with the court previously being told the total costs were more than £34 million.

Read More

Harry and Meghan’s decision to relocate to the UK was only relayed to the King three days before the bombshell news went public on Wednesday night.

The Sussexes decamped to California more than six years ago amid the turbulent Megxit crisis, which was followed by ongoing family fallouts and a barrage of accusations fired at the Prince and Princess of Wales and the King and Queen Camilla.

Rumours have abounded as to where Harry and Meghan will choose to settle, with suggestions including rural locations in the Cotswolds in Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire, amid speculation over which schools they have chosen for their children.

The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.

Archie and Lili are expected to start at their new schools in early September.

There is a question mark over who will pay for the couple’s security (Jonathan Brady/PA)PA Wire

There will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays as for working royals, it is understood.

British media organisations have been instructed by the press regulator not to reveal the location of their new family home nor the children’s school.

The Prince and Princess of Wales have not reacted publicly to the news. William – the future king – is estranged from his brother following Harry’s controversial claims about the royal family in the wake of Megxit.

The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California; and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base.

A new YouGov poll, carried out the day after the surprise U-turn, showed 33% believe the King’s youngest son and the former Suits star should not come back, while 45% do not know.

Fewer than a quarter (21%) were in favour of the Sussexes relocating from the US.