London

US and Canadian observers note UK police probe after human bones uncovered by wildfires at Bedfont Lakes Country Park

Metropolitan Police investigate human bones uncovered after wildfires at a west London park, with US and Canadian agencies noting the forensic challenges.

US and Canadian observers note UK police probe after human bones uncovered by wildfires at Bedfont Lakes Country Park

Law enforcement agencies in the United States and Canada are watching as the Metropolitan Police launch a probe after human bones were uncovered by wildfires at Bedfont Lakes Country Park in west London.

Investigation by the Metropolitan Police

Officers first attended the site, at the Bedfont Lakes Country Park in Hounslow, on Wednesday, August 12, following reports that bones had been found.

Police said the bones have been confirmed as human, and that a probe is underway to establish the age and identity of the remains.

A police cordon, which was put up seven days ago, is still in place close to the footbridge leading to Edward Pauling School, according to local residents.

One local said that the remains were uncovered as a result of two recent wildfires in the area - but this has not been confirmed by the London Fire Brigade (LFB).

Fire incidents in Feltham

LFB attended a grass fire near Watermead in Feltham on August 2, and a second fire near Ambleside Drive in Feltham on August 5, with both blazes seeing around two hectares of shrubland being set alight.

Fire burns away the topsoil which can reveal hidden items buried beneath, including historical or modern skeletal remains.

Similar discoveries of skeletal remains have prompted investigations in Canadian parks such as Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park, and in US sites like California's Redwood National Park, highlighting the challenges fire poses to forensic teams.

Cross‑border cooperation among forensic specialists often helps identify victims when remains are exposed after wildfires.

A crime scene remains in place and the Met are carrying out further enquiries.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "Police were called at 18:35hrs on Wednesday, 12 August to reports of bones being found at Bedfont Pits, Feltham.

"The bones were confirmed to be human and further testing is underway to establish the age of the bones and ascertain identity.

"An investigation is ongoing, and a crime scene remains in place."