As Canada and the United States grapple with record heat this summer, London authorities issued mobile alerts warning of wildfire risk as temperatures topped 34 °C.
Government Emergency Alert
An emergency alert from the Government was sent to millions across the UK on Friday evening, as London continued to experience baking heatwave conditions.
The alert, which began appearing on mobile devices from 7 pm, warned people not to light anything that could spark a wildfire, including barbecues, campfires and fireworks.
It comes as Friday became a record‑breaking 10th day in 2026 where temperatures have exceeded 35 °C in the UK, according to the Met Office.
Cities from Toronto to Phoenix are also issuing heat advisories as temperatures climb above 30 °C, highlighting the shared challenge of extreme summer heat across the continent.
The alert read: "There is a very high risk of wildfires nationally. Residents, landowners and visitors should not undertake any activity that could start a fire, including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators or fireworks. Even a small flame can rapidly develop into a major wildfire placing lives, homes, businesses and emergency responders at risk. Follow official updates and report signs of fire immediately by calling 999."
Wildfire Response
London's parks have turned into "tinderbox" parched lands where fires can easily spread, including a wildfire which tore through Hornchurch Country Park on Friday evening.
An aerial view showed a parched golf course in Mitcham, London.
The London Fire Brigade confirmed that 14 fire engines and around 90 firefighters responded to the blaze, which produced a significant amount of smoke.
Sir Sadiq Khan has urged Londoners to create fire breaks in their gardens to protect their homes, while the London Fire Brigade has also warned of the dangers that major blazes could start in people's gardens.
More than 1,000 wildfires have been recorded in England and Wales this year, according to data shared by the National Fire Chiefs Council, the same as last year's record‑breaking total.
Cabinet Office minister Louise Haigh, the First Secretary of State, said that the alert was "the most extensive use of the UK's emergency alert system in response to an active incident".
The alert disrupted TV and radio broadcasts, with the One Show's 20th anniversary special episode interrupted just minutes after starting.
Earlier on Friday, Prime Minister Andy Burnham visited Stourbridge in the West Midlands, where a wildfire destroyed 19 homes on Thursday.
Mr Burnham described Britain as "a tinderbox right now" with "37 fires smouldering around the country".
In a statement on X following the alert, the Prime Minister told the public to take the warning "seriously", and said it was triggered at the request of firefighters.
Mr Burnham added: "During this period of extreme heat, I'm asking everyone to take extra care. Please do not light any fires in gardens, the countryside or other open spaces, including parks, moorland and wooded areas. Our firefighters and emergency responders are working around the clock in incredibly difficult conditions. We can all help them. Please take the emergency alert seriously and follow the guidance in place."
The Prime Minister also announced a ban on disposable barbecues in England, Wales and Scotland that has come into force "until further notice".
Heat health alerts from the UK Health Security Agency are in place until 10 am on Saturday across London, the South East, the South West, the East of England, the East Midlands and the West Midlands.

