London

Luxury car showroom redevelopment in London's Kensington raises questions for Canadian and U.S. buyers

A new six‑storey office block will sit above a rebuilt Ferrari showroom, a project that may influence North American luxury‑car markets.

Luxury car showroom redevelopment in London's Kensington raises questions for Canadian and U.S. buyers

Ferrari's former showroom in South Kensington will be rebuilt with a six‑storey office block added, a move that could affect Canadian and U.S. buyers who source European supercars through the UK.

Ferrari showroom redevelopment

Councillors approved the scheme at a Kensington and Chelsea Planning Applications Committee meeting on Tuesday.

The proposal will see the current ground‑floor car showroom demolished and replaced with a 734 square‑metre new one at the site on Old Brompton Road in South Kensington. It is unclear which car manufacturer will take on the space, as Ferrari shut that showroom in 2024. The area is known to be popular with luxury cars and supercar brands, with Lamborghini and classic‑car showrooms nearby.

Five floors of office space, which will take up 1,843 square metres, will be built on top of the showroom. An additional sixth‑floor plant room makes the building 2.31 metres taller than the previous scheme.

Canada and the United States are among the biggest markets for high‑end European sports cars, and developments like this can influence availability and pricing for buyers north of the border. Toronto and New York have seen similar mixed‑use projects that combine showrooms with office space, reflecting a trend in urban luxury retail. Trade officials note that such investments signal confidence in the trans‑Atlantic automotive sector, supporting jobs in both regions.

Local resident concerns

At the meeting, local resident Andrew Hall said: "Over 30 residents objected to this application and I think it's appalling that the council's response totally dismisses all our concerns, particularly concerning the height and massive bulk of the building. There's no way it should be built in this form."

Jennifer Mackerras also raised concerns over how the development would affect access to the nearby cul‑de‑sac Eagle Place.

Ms Mackerras told the Planning Applications Sub‑Committee: "Hindering our access or exit will put the lives and property of Eagle Place families in serious danger. This is totally foreseeable to all, including the council."

Speaking on behalf of the applicant, Matt Richards told the sub‑committee that the scheme was of a higher quality than the previously abandoned one.

"The scheme preserves the character and appearance of surrounding conservation areas, causes no unacceptable amenity impacts, it delivers meaningful public benefits through enhanced landscaping, improved public realm and a more sustainable building," he said.

"The scheme will deliver additional high‑quality office floor space and a new car showroom to bring economic investment to the area."

The sub‑committee requested information on private rights of way and the consideration of planting for pollinators was added to the scheme.