Crime

UK counter-terror police reopen probe into Farage home incident after Widdecombe killing

Investigators are revisiting an attempted burglary at the Reform UK leader's London address as part of the inquiry into the former MP's death.

UK counter-terror police reopen probe into Farage home incident after Widdecombe killing

Counter-terrorism police investigating the death of former MP and Reform UK spokesperson Ann Widdecombe have reopened an inquiry into a reported attempted burglary at a London address in April 2025.

Incident at Farage residence

Officers said the incident, which the Telegraph described as a "lit incendiary device" being posted through Nigel Farage's letterbox, happened at an address in south London. No arrests were made at the time and the case was closed pending any new lines of inquiry.

But Counter Terrorism Policing (CTP) said on Friday that a line of inquiry had been identified that was "not pursued by them at the time."

CTP London has made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) over its handling of the initial investigation.

Widdecombe killing

Former Tory minister Ann Widdecombe, 78, died on July 8 after she was hit over the head with a hammer 21 times at her home in Haytor on Dartmoor, Devon.

Joshua Kerry, 28, was charged with her murder on July 20.

Mr Farage previously told the Telegraph there had been 'an outright arson attempt' on his home. He said a lit incendiary device was shoved through his letterbox in early 2025 when he was not in. He found the damage when he returned home, and "luckily it had burned itself out in the porch".

Police said damage was caused to a door, but nothing was stolen.

The incident is now being revisited as part of the investigation into the death of Ms Widdecombe.

The police watchdog is investigating allegations that a Counter Terrorism Policing London staff member "failed to identify and pursue a line of inquiry" linked to the attempted burglary.

"We can confirm that the IOPC has decided to independently investigate the conduct of a Counter Terrorism Policing London staff member following a referral received earlier today," a spokesperson said in a statement.

"The conduct relates to an allegation the individual failed to identify and pursue a line of enquiry relating to an attempted burglary reported in April 2025.

"Counter Terrorism Policing London has been notified of our decision, and no further information is available at this early stage."