President Donald J. Trump used his Truth Social platform on Tuesday evening to announce a three‑day suspension of the 50 % tariffs that were due to take effect on Canadian goods just after midnight. The pause, he said, is linked to a tentative trade deal between the United States and Canada that is awaiting final documentation.
Trade talks and tariff postponement
Prime Minister Mark Carney told reporters that Canada and the United States had made “substantial progress” in trade negotiations, but warned that “important work still needs to be done.” He added that Washington had agreed to postpone the 50 % tariffs until the end of Aug. 21 while discussions continue.
The tariffs, announced last month, would have applied to roughly $28 billion worth of Canadian exports, covering a wide range of products from hockey sticks and honey to wine and cement. Canadian officials were also seeking relief on existing duties affecting steel, aluminium, lumber and automobiles.
Keystone XL pipeline reference
In his social‑media post, Trump highlighted the Keystone XL pipeline, describing it as a project “long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden” that could be “awoken from the grave.” The pipeline, which would have moved oil from Alberta to Nebraska, had its permit revoked by President Joe Biden on his first day in office. Earlier this year, Trump signed an executive order to revive parts of the project.
Negotiation dynamics
Negotiations were led on the Canadian side by Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, who were in Washington, D.C. engaging with their American counterparts. A phone call between Carney and Trump took place on Tuesday, hours before the tariffs were due to be imposed.
Opposition leader Pierre Poilievre warned that any agreement should not contain “unilateral concessions,” underscoring domestic political sensitivities in Ottawa.
Uncertainty remains
While the temporary suspension averts an immediate 50 % duty surge, it remains unclear what specific terms have been settled under the tentative agreement announced by Trump. Canadian businesses, which had been bracing for a sharp decline in sales, continue to monitor the situation closely.
The pause buys time for both governments to finalise the documentation required to lock in the deal, but the ultimate impact on the $28 billion of trade and on sectors such as energy, agriculture and manufacturing is still to be determined.

